Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Grandview Visit

Last night I ended up in the hospital for a couple of hours. I had felt some contractions later in the day, and I was a little nervous, but didn't think too much of it. We have dinner on Tuesday's at our good friend's the Mangin's, and yesterday was no different. We headed over there around 6:00 PM, and it was a special Tuesday because it was our hostess's Monica's birthday! We all brought food so she wouldn't have too cook and enjoyed a delicious meal, and then dessert.

After dinner we started watching the recap of Lost, and I had one of my contractions. Since it's my first pregnancy and I had been doubting myself, I asked Monica to feel my belly to see if it was really a contraction. She confirmed that it was and had me sit with my feet up and drink some water. Within 10 minutes, I got up to use the restroom, and thought I was having another one. The pro at having babies that she is, she told me to immediately call my doctor and let her know the situation. I was told to head to Grandview to the labor and delivery area to be monitored.

I was pretty nervous, and called my mom on the way. She prayed with me and really helped calm me down so I wouldn't stress out about it. Eric and I arrived at the ER, and they took me in a wheelchair up to the room. I had a few contractions early on and they immediately gave me an IV of fluids thinking I was probably just dehydrated. This helped stop the contractions until the fluids were done... then I proceeded to have several more contractions, and instead of letting us leave, they decided to monitor longer and try some more treatments.

My urine sample came back showing I had an infection, and this was probably the cause of the pre-term labor contractions. I had read about this some, so I understood that it wasn't harming the babies, and the ultrasound and hearing their heartbeat helped us know that the boys were doing just fine! They did give me some antibiotics and more fluid along with a muscle relaxer to stop the contractions. Luckily I only needed 1 shot to stop everything dead, and after about 2 hours of being monitored, they let us go home.

Eric was supposed to have his 3rd day working the night shift, but because of the hospital stay, he stuck by my side and even came home with me to make sure I would be OK. It was snowing on the way home, so it was great to have him there and make sure we took our time and got home safely. We arrived home around 2:00 AM and after a nice shower, I slept very well until 9:30 AM.

We both took off and Eric made me breakfast, lunch and dinner and even took really good care of Aspen. He ran out and got my prescriptions and couldn't have been more accommodating today! He is an amazing husband and I can't wait to see what a great father he will be. So far I've been having minor sporadic contractions, but thankfully nothing regular or anything to be worried about.

I know there were a lot of people who prayed for us, and we truly appreciate the prayers. I'm on antibiotics, and I'm confident that I will be just fine. I think this is a good reminder for me going into the big move in 2 weeks that I need to take it easy and make sure I'm putting the boys first.

3 comments:

  1. SO glad that everything is ok. thanks for keeping us updated :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Linds, glad you are doing better. Way to go Eric being a great husband. Praying for you both! Talk to you soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linds, this was a great recap and I enjoyed reading it much better than when it was taking place and we were WORRIED. Rest up, so that you can jump and cheer on my Saints at the Superbowl!

    ReplyDelete

Slideshow

Baby Pics